Rhode Island Hospital, Providence RI
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence RI
Kenneth C. Zirkel

Winter Illnesses Are Causing Delays at Rhode Island Hospitals

Emergency departments in RI are seeing long lines and congestion because of an increase in respiratory illnesses. Some local hospitals have begun requiring masks

Emergency departments in RI are seeing long lines and congestion because of an increase in respiratory illnesses. Some local hospitals have begun requiring masks

Share
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence RI
Rhode Island Hospital, Providence RI
Kenneth C. Zirkel
Winter Illnesses Are Causing Delays at Rhode Island Hospitals
Copy

Hospitals around the state are seeing a rise in respiratory illnesses on par with typical increases in the winter months.

According to statewide wastewater data and hospital admissions data, cases of COVID-19 have been on the rise since December, along with RSV and Norovirus. State Epidemiologist Dr. Suzanne Bornschein also says influenza is newly on the rise and having a later-than-usual seasonal uptick.

“We’re a little bit higher than last year’s peak, but I’m not sure that we’ve peaked yet,” Bornschein said in an interview Wednesday.

The state has had two deaths so far due to influenza this season. Last year’s flu season had 32 deaths. Bornschein said the flu and other respiratory viruses disproportionately affect the young or the old – people “on the two poles of life” – and people with suppressed immunity.

As a result of the increase in winter illnesses, Brown University Health has instituted masking requirements in its overburdened hospitals.

This story was reported by The Public’s Radio. You can read the entire story here.

Ella Cook, a sophomore, and Mukhammad Aziz Umurzokov, a freshman, were killed during a final exam review session by a shooter who has not been found yet. Nine other students were injured, and the university’s president said most are in stable condition.
Resources to help create a safe space for kids to ask questions and process tragic events
The FBI announced a $50,000 reward for information
Rhode Island mass transit planners are soliciting public input on major projects to undertake in the coming years. RIDOT’s online survey closes today
The shooter is still at large. ‘We still have a lot of steps left to take, obviously, in this case,” Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said.
After two people were killed and nine others injured, students and neighbors grapple with fear, trauma and how a once-cozy campus now feels forever changed