Police seized firearms from a storage unit they say was owned by the suspect in the Pawtucket mass shooting.
Police seized firearms from a storage unit they say was owned by the suspect in the Pawtucket mass shooting.
Courtesy of Pawtucket Police Department

Police investigating Pawtucket shooting seize weapons and ammunition from Maine storage locker

The suspected shooter worked at a shipyard in Bath, Maine, but often traveled to Rhode Island

Share
Police seized firearms from a storage unit they say was owned by the suspect in the Pawtucket mass shooting.
Police seized firearms from a storage unit they say was owned by the suspect in the Pawtucket mass shooting.
Courtesy of Pawtucket Police Department
Police investigating Pawtucket shooting seize weapons and ammunition from Maine storage locker
Copy

Investigators seized weapons and ammunition on Wednesday from a storage unit in Maine, which they say was owned by the suspect in the mass shooting at the David M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket.

Roberta Dorgan killed their ex-wife and son, and wounded three others, at a high school hockey game on Monday before taking their own life.

Maine Police and the FBI executed search warrants on the suspect’s apartment and work locker on Wednesday. They seized a sawed-off shotgun, an AR-15-style rifle and ammunition from a storage unit in Brunswick, Maine, according to Pawtucket police. Investigators also found personal identification documents, a handgun frame and mail addressed to the suspect.

The suspect worked at the nearby General Dynamics-Bath Iron Works shipyard, the company said earlier this week. Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said Dorgan still traveled to attend their son’s hockey games, so their appearance at the Lynch arena on Monday didn’t raise any alarms among the other family members in attendance.

Dorgan purchased both of the guns used in the shooting, according to police – a Sig Sauer .357 in West Warwick in 2019 and a Glock 10MM in Florida in 2021.

Police recognize ‘courageous citizens’

The day after the shooting, officials lauded bystanders who confronted the shooter.

“We also want to recognize the remarkable bravery of the Good Samaritans who stepped in without hesitation, placing themselves in harm’s way to stop that shooter,” Pawtucket Mayor Don Grebien said at a press conference.

On Wednesday, Pawtucket police said it was Michael Black, Robert Rattenni, and Ryan Cordeiro who “bravely subdued the suspect.”

Black said he rushed the shooter and got his left hand caught in the chamber of their gun. Then two others joined him. The shooter was able to eventually pull out a second gun and they died from a self-inflicted gunshot in front of the “Good Samaritans.”

“They exemplified model citizen behavior and true bravery in the face of danger,” Pawtucket police said in a press release.

Police also said Chris Librizzi and Glenn Narodowy, both retired Warwick firefighters and EMTs, and Nurse Maryann Rattenni rendered first aid in the aftermath of the shooting.

Michael Black describes lunging at the gunman inside Pawtucket’s Dennis M. Lynch Arena, helping jam the weapon and subdue the shooter as other bystanders rushed in — actions police say “undoubtedly prevented further injury” in a tragedy that left three dead and three critically wounded

Rhode Island Gov. Dan McKee released his budget proposal. Now the General Assembly will spend months reviewing the plan
Written before COVID but hitting close to home, the comedy by Jonathan Spector skewers groupthink, social justice jargon and the limits of consensus
Counterclaim comes after three years and a trio of lawsuits by North Kingstown country club over shoreline dispute
From a sharp school-board satire at The Gamm to Black storytelling, chamber music and medieval fencing, here’s what’s happening this weekend and beyond in Rhode Island
In the aftermath of the deadly shooting at Brown University, Providence Mayor Brett Smiley reflected on what the city did right following the tragedy and what it can do better in the event of future emergencies
Mayor Brett Smiley said initial indications are positive, but that he ordered the city to engage an outside firm to review the city’s response