Attorney General Neronha to unveil most detailed report on clergy sexual abuse in Rhode Island

The report tracks how the Diocese of Providence responded to allegations — and which priests were allowed to remain in the priesthood

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha announced a lawsuit against the Trump administration’s Revolution Wind stop-work order on Sep. 4, 2025.
Attorney General Peter Neronha speaking during a news conference earlier this year.
Ian Donnis / Ocean State Media
Share
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha announced a lawsuit against the Trump administration’s Revolution Wind stop-work order on Sep. 4, 2025.
Attorney General Peter Neronha speaking during a news conference earlier this year.
Ian Donnis / Ocean State Media
Attorney General Neronha to unveil most detailed report on clergy sexual abuse in Rhode Island
Copy

Attorney General Peter Neronha is preparing to release what he calls the most detailed examination to date of the sexual abuse of children by priests in Rhode Island.

Neronha’s investigation adds details to a familiar problem: how the Catholic Church for years overlooked sexual abuse by priests, in some cases shuttling them to other pulpits

The state’s top prosecutor said exposure through news reports eventually improved the situation. And the Diocese’s response to accusations of abuse improved over time, Neronha said.

“This report goes pretty far back in time — 40, 50 years,” Neronha said.“The takeaway about how the Diocese responded — if you were to look at that, take a snapshot of that 30 or 40 years ago — it’s much worse from where I sit, from my point of view and my opinion, than it would be today.”

The story of how Neronha has completed an investigation launched in 2019 was first reported by The Boston Globe.

Neronha said investigators were precluded from using a grand jury since they concluded they lacked a case for charging the Diocese criminally.

He said the findings include an appendix of credibly accused priests as determined by investigators, not by the Diocese, “and tells the story in those appendices for each priest, when they were first accused and what the Diocese’s response was to those accusations, and if they stayed in the priesthood where they were assigned thereafter.”

He plans to share his report with the Diocese of Providence and then the public in the next few weeks.

In response to questions from Ocean State Media, Michael Kieloch, director of communications for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence, said “We await release of the draft report, and are unable to respond or comment until we are allowed to read and review it.”

This story has been updated with response from the Diocese of Providence.

State asks motorists to help plows by avoiding unnecessary travel
With 37.9 inches at the state’s primary airport and multiple towns topping 30 inches, this storm has officially surpassed the Blizzard of ’78 benchmark
Survey shows governor underwater with independents as Washington Bridge tops voters’ concerns
With schools closed and record snowfall piling up, Ocean State Media’s Community & Education team shares snow-day videos, learning resources, and easy indoor activities to keep kids playing — and parents sane
The governors of Rhode Island and Massachusetts declared states of emergency
The deadline to sell two cash-strapped hospitals in Rhode Island is this Friday. There’s a lot on the line, in terms of jobs and health care