Anti-Domestic Violence Groups are Suing Over the Trump Administration’s Grant Requirements

President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
Anna Moneymaker
Share
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
President Trump is seen here after signing a range of executive orders on Jan. 23.
Anna Moneymaker
Anti-Domestic Violence Groups are Suing Over the Trump Administration’s Grant Requirements
Copy

Seventeen statewide anti-domestic and sexual violence coalitions are suing President Donald Trump’s administration over requirements in grant applications that they don’t promote “gender ideology” or run diversity, equity and inclusion programs or prioritize people in the country illegally.

The groups say the requirements, which Trump ushered in with executive orders, put them in “an impossible position.”

If they don’t apply for federal money allocated under the Violence Against Women Act of 1994, they might not be able to provide rape crisis centers, battered women’s shelters and other programs to support victims of domestic violence and sexual assault. But if the groups do apply, they said in the lawsuit, they would have to make statements they called “antithetical to their core values” — and take on legal risk.

In the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Rhode Island on Monday, the coalitions said that agreeing to the terms of grants could open them to federal investigations and enforcement actions as well as lawsuits from private parties.

The groups suing include some from Democratic-controlled states, such as the California Partnership to End Domestic Violence, and in GOP-dominated ones, including the Idaho Coalition against Sexual and Domestic Violence.

The groups say the requirements are at odds with federal laws that require them not to discriminate based on gender identity, to aid underserved racial and ethnic groups, and to emphasize immigrants with some programs and not to discriminate based on legal status.

The U.S. Department of Justice, which is named as a defendant in the lawsuit, did not respond to a request for comment.

The suit is one of more than 200 filed since January to challenge President Donald Trump’s executive orders. There were similar claims in a suit over anti-DEI requirements in grants for groups that serve LGBTQ+ communities. A judge last week blocked the administration from enforcing those orders in context of those programs, for now.

This story was originally published by the Associated Press.

Gabriel Boomer Amaral, a Republican who has never held elected office in Fall River, took nearly 49% of the vote against the incumbent Democrat. Amaral is calling for a recount
The special election for Ward 2 was triggered by Helen Anthony’s retirement
Rhode Island’s SNAP program reveals sharp contrasts — from record-high enrollment to looming cuts that could deepen food insecurity
A coalition of mostly Rhode Island nonprofits and cities is urging a federal judge to require the Trump administration to issue full SNAP benefits, not the partial payments announced earlier this week
Believe it or not, there can be pretty significant carbon emissions from your pet’s food. This week on Possibly, we explain why, and show some easy ways to reduce your pet’s carbon “pawprint”
Following a federal judge’s order in Providence, the Trump administration says it will resume SNAP payments — but recipients will get only about half of their usual benefits