Twenty-three attorneys general have asked for a two-week ban on a federal funding freeze in a draft temporary restraining order filed Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in Providence.
Twenty-three attorneys general have asked for a two-week ban on a federal funding freeze in a draft temporary restraining order filed Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in Providence.
S.Gnatiuk/Envato

Democratic-Led States Sue to Block Trump Administration Layoffs at the Education Department

Share
Twenty-three attorneys general have asked for a two-week ban on a federal funding freeze in a draft temporary restraining order filed Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in Providence.
Twenty-three attorneys general have asked for a two-week ban on a federal funding freeze in a draft temporary restraining order filed Thursday morning in U.S. District Court in Providence.
S.Gnatiuk/Envato
Democratic-Led States Sue to Block Trump Administration Layoffs at the Education Department
Copy

A coalition of Democratic-led states is challenging the Trump administration’s sweeping layoffs across the Education Department, saying it amounts to an illegal dismantling of an agency created by Congress.

In a federal lawsuit filed Thursday in Massachusetts, 20 states and Washington, D.C., say the layoffs are so severe that the department “can no longer function, and cannot comply with its statutory requirements.”

It alleges the cuts will result in a loss or delay of federal money for public schools, and will leave the agency unable to administer college financial aid or enforce civil rights laws at schools, among other disruptions.

A department spokesperson did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

The department has insisted previously it will continue to deliver on its statutory obligations, despite the cuts.

Some Education Department employees have left through buyout offers and the termination of probationary employees. After a layoff of 1,300 people announced Tuesday, the department will sit at roughly half the 4,100 it had when President Donald Trump took office.

Trump has repeatedly said he wants the agency shut down, calling it wasteful and overly influenced by liberal thinking.

The suit says only Congress has the power to close the department or dismantle its core work.

New York Attorney General Letitia James said the cuts will impair necessary services for students and families.

“This outrageous effort to leave students behind and deprive them of a quality education is reckless and illegal. Today I am taking action to stop the madness and protect our schools and the students who depend on them,” James said. ___

This story was originally published by the Associated Press.

The Associated Press’ education coverage receives financial support from multiple private foundations. AP is solely responsible for all content. Find AP’s standards for working with philanthropies, a list of supporters and funded coverage areas at AP.org.

The Ocean State is one of just three states that still prohibit most retail on Thanksgiving — a throwback to centuries-old blue laws that continue to shape when Rhode Islanders can (and can’t) shop
Researchers at URI and the state Department of Environmental Management to spend five years on a comprehensive study of Rhode Island’s wild turkey population
November 28 - January 2, 2026
Will the Rhode Island Senate remain divided? Plus, Helena Foulkes leans on a big name to raise more campaign cash
From restaurants to bakeries to dance studios, local business owners describe customer losses, creative pivots, and the hard-earned resilience they’ve needed to keep going since the westbound bridge shut down in late 2023
The closures are the latest in what is expected to be a wave of parish consolidations across Rhode Island