State Officials Say Eastbound Washington Bridge Remains Safe

The latest inspection report was completed in November

Gov. McKee, RIDOT Director Peter Alviti and McKee adviser T. Joseph Almond.
Gov. McKee, RIDOT Director Peter Alviti and McKee adviser T. Joseph Almond.
Ian Donnis / The Public’s Radio
Share
Gov. McKee, RIDOT Director Peter Alviti and McKee adviser T. Joseph Almond.
Gov. McKee, RIDOT Director Peter Alviti and McKee adviser T. Joseph Almond.
Ian Donnis / The Public’s Radio
State Officials Say Eastbound Washington Bridge Remains Safe
Copy

State officials said Monday the eastbound Washington Bridge has not experienced any significant deterioration despite carrying twice the normal traffic since it was pressed into an expanded role last year.

The eastbound bridge was reconfigured to accommodate six lanes of traffic, three in each direction, after the westbound bridge was closed on an emergency basis in December 2023.

During a Statehouse news conference on Monday, Gov. Dan McKee said a monitoring report completed in November showed the need for what he described as routine “improvements, refreshes and minor repairs” to the eastbound bridge.

“It’s important to understand that none of the conditions we’re addressing in our maintenance affect the capacity of this bridge or its structural integrity to carry the six lanes we have on it,” said Peter Alviti, director of the Rhode Island Department of Transportation.

Alviti said the state has built redundancy into its assessment of the bridge and that reviewing it every six months is a standard set by the Federal Highway Administration.

This story was reported by The Public’s Radio. You can read the entire story here.

The House speaker is expected to apply for a vacancy on the state’s highest court — but Common Cause says he may be blocked by Rhode Island’s revolving door law
Stephanie Savell, director of the Costs of War project at Brown University, says much of the United States’ massive defense budget could be better spent on education, health care and green energy
Providence City Councilor Ana Vargas supported rent control during her election campaign. As she prepared to vote on it, she received the largest political donations of her career
Prescription for preserving landmark labor and delivery unit comes with a $4.9M price tag
U.S. District Court judge Melissa DuBose accused lawyer Kevin Bolan of hiding the criminal record of an undocumented immigrant
A new Rhode Island KIDS COUNT report warns that rising child poverty is straining families across the state — and the effects on children’s mental health and education could be long-lasting