Rhode Island House Approves Assault-Style Weapons Ban, Sending High-Profile Legislation to the Senate

43-28 vote features opposition from all chamber Republicans, 17 Democrats, 1 independent

Rep. Jason Knight, a Barrington Democrat, defends his bill to ban assault-style weapons during debate on the House floor on June 5, 2025.
Rep. Jason Knight, a Barrington Democrat, defends his bill to ban assault-style weapons during debate on the House floor on June 5, 2025.
Christopher Shea/Rhode Island Current
Share
Rep. Jason Knight, a Barrington Democrat, defends his bill to ban assault-style weapons during debate on the House floor on June 5, 2025.
Rep. Jason Knight, a Barrington Democrat, defends his bill to ban assault-style weapons during debate on the House floor on June 5, 2025.
Christopher Shea/Rhode Island Current
Rhode Island House Approves Assault-Style Weapons Ban, Sending High-Profile Legislation to the Senate
Copy

The Rhode Island House of Representatives on Thursday approved much-anticipated legislation banning the sale and manufacturing of a range of semiautomatic weapons in Rhode Island starting in July 2026.

The 43-28 vote came after nearly five hours of debate and nine failed attempts by House Republicans to change the bill sponsored by Rep. Jason Knight, a Barrington Democrat. All 10 Republicans voted against the bill, along with 17 Democrats and the chamber’s lone independent.

“We have an obligation to protect the community we live in,” Knight said on the House floor. “Mass shootings are a real problem — it could happen here and we have a chance to minimize the chances.”

In introducing Knight’s legislation to the floor, House Judiciary Chairman Robert Craven, a North Kingstown Democrat, said the legislation is justified if just one life is saved by banning assault-style weapons.

“One of the things I learned as a prosecutor many years ago was there’s no undoing someone being dead,” Craven said. “There’s no retreat from that — dead is dead.”

But opponents argued the bill’s language is too broad and would not reduce gun violence. Many said it would criminalize responsible gun owners.

“This piece of legislation’s true goal, as evidenced by its language, is clouded at best and disingenuous at worst,” said Rep. Arthur Corvese, a North Providence Democrat.

The legislation, which was already revised before advancing out of committee earlier this week, would prohibit the sale and manufacturing of assault-style shotguns, handguns, and rifles beginning July 1, 2026. Weapons are defined as any semiautomatic firearm that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one attachment such as stocks, pistol grips, and barrel shrouds. Certain .22 caliber rimfire rifles and Olympic-style target pistols would still be allowed.

Assault-style firearms purchased before July 2026 would also be exempt from the legislation, along with weapons passed down through family.

Violators of the proposed ban would face up to 10 years in prison, a fine of up to $10,000 and forfeiting their assault-style weapons.

Gun owners could voluntarily register their weapons with police to receive a certificate of possession — a provision that has drawn the ire of opponents.

“If you are found to be in possession of one of these firearms and do not have this voluntary certificate you are handcuffed, you are printed, you are booked, you are arraigned, you go to pre-trial, you go to a trial,” said House Minority Leader Mike Chippendale, a Foster Republican. “After maybe two years you can provide proof you owned the firearm before July 1, 2026.”

Chippendale also argued that the bill’s language is unclear on where gun owners could use their grandfathered weapons, saying that it would bar hunting. Rep. Joseph McNamara, a Warwick Democrat, said weapons subject to the proposed ban are not meant for hunting.

“If you need an AK-47 to hunt ducks, maybe you should take up bowling,” he said.

House Republicans introduced nine floor amendments to address their issues with Knight’s bill, but each was rejected.

Democratic Reps. Mia Ackerman of Cumberland, John Edwards of Tiverton, Raymond Hull of Providence, and Alex Marszalkowski of Cumberland were not present for the vote. Rep. Kathleen Fogarty, a South Kingstown Democrat, voted by proxy in favor of the bill.

The policy now rests with the Senate for consideration.

Companion legislation introduced by Sen. Lou DiPalma, a Middletown Democrat, has 23 additional sponsors, including Senate President Valarie Lawson. DiPalma’s bill was heard by the Senate Committee on Judiciary on May 14, where it remains under review.

Three Democrats who serve on the committee voiced opposition to the proposal during the initial hearing on DiPalma’s bill. Senate Majority Leader Frank Ciccone, a Providence Democrat and federal firearms dealer, has also said he does not support banning assault-style weapons as drafted.

Knight’s changes have not swayed his stance, Ciccone said in an interview Thursday.

Lawson remains committed to seeing the proposal hit the Senate floor, chamber spokesperson Greg Paré said in an email.

This story was originally published by the Rhode Island Current.

Mayor Brett Smiley discusses how his administration is tackling the city’s biggest issues — from the housing shortage and SNAP crisis to community trust in police — as he looks ahead to a 2026 re-election bid
USDA says it will not send out food stamp money in November due to the federal shutdown. Now, Rhode Islanders are grappling with how to make ends meet
Federal cuts to Medicaid could leave up to 50,000 Rhode Islanders without health insurance, straining the state’s already limited primary care system and putting communities like Central Falls - where half the population relies on Medicaid - at particular risk, according to Dr. Michael Fine
Gov. Dan McKee says the state will shift $6 million from other federal programs to help feed Rhode Islanders as SNAP benefits run out — while Attorney General Peter Neronha joins a multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration to restore funding
The R/V Endeavor, which spent the last 49 years operating out of URI’s Narragansett Bay Campus, was retired last month. Possibly took a tour of the vessel before it’s decommissioned