Rhode Island Attorney General Neronha Leads Legal Fight Against Trump-Era Immigration Funding Threats

The lawsuit challenges the Trump administration for requiring states to cooperate with the enforcement of federal immigration law in order to receive funding for public safety and infrastructure projects

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha is among the Democratic state AGs trying to block Trump administration policies in court.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha is among the Democratic state AGs trying to block Trump administration policies in court.
Dewey Raposo / Rhode Island PBS
Share
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha is among the Democratic state AGs trying to block Trump administration policies in court.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha is among the Democratic state AGs trying to block Trump administration policies in court.
Dewey Raposo / Rhode Island PBS
Rhode Island Attorney General Neronha Leads Legal Fight Against Trump-Era Immigration Funding Threats
Copy

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Noronha is co-leading a group of 20 attorneys general challenging the Trump administration’s threat to withhold government funding from states that refuse to cooperate with federal immigration enforcement efforts.

Back in February, the Department of Homeland Security and the Department of Transportation announced that in order for states like Rhode Island to receive funding from their respective agencies, they would have to cooperate with government officials in enforcing federal immigration law.

On Tuesday, Neronha and the other attorneys general filed separate lawsuits against DOH and DOT, saying they lack the legal authority to require states to abide by federal immigration policy in order to receive funding. Neronha claims the Trump administration is defying the Constitution by adding a series of terms and conditions to the grant funding that’s already been allocated by Congress.

“We are experiencing creeping authoritarianism in this country, and as a people, we must continue to resist,” Neronha said in a prepared statement. “By threatening to withhold these congressionally allocated funds, used for projects like fixing highways and preparing for natural disasters, the President is willing to put our collective safety at risk.”

The $628 million in grant funding to Rhode Island would go towards local public safety and infrastructure projects, including the reconstruction of the Washington Bridge.

Both suits were filed in Rhode Island U.S. District Court.

Roger Williams Medical Center and Our Lady of Fatima hang in the balance
More than 9 million students had school disrupted by climate change last year. Researchers at Brown University have launched the SustainableED initiative to study what rising temperatures will mean for our education system
Protestors gather in subfreezing temperatures to ‘unwelcome’ U.S. defense secretary
Nigel Vaughn was shot by Fall River police early Sunday morning, police said. Two officers were injured but have been released from the hospital
The records offer granular insights into how the investigation in the shooting unfolded
From Federal Hill barber chair to Rhode Island mob lore, Vinny “Vinny D” DeQuattro recalls decades of cutting hair for criminals and community leaders alike