Defense Rests Case in Second Trial of Karen Read for Boston Police Officer Boyfriend’s Death

Karen Read, who is accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police Officer John O'Keefe, in 2022, during her murder trial at Norfolk Superior Court, Tuesday, May 27, 2025, in Dedham, Mass.
Karen Read, who is accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police Officer John O’Keefe, in 2022, during her murder trial at Norfolk Superior Court, Tuesday, May 27, 2025, in Dedham, Mass.
Matt Stone/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool
Share
Karen Read, who is accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police Officer John O'Keefe, in 2022, during her murder trial at Norfolk Superior Court, Tuesday, May 27, 2025, in Dedham, Mass.
Karen Read, who is accused of killing her boyfriend, Boston police Officer John O’Keefe, in 2022, during her murder trial at Norfolk Superior Court, Tuesday, May 27, 2025, in Dedham, Mass.
Matt Stone/The Boston Herald via AP, Pool
Defense Rests Case in Second Trial of Karen Read for Boston Police Officer Boyfriend’s Death
Copy

The defense in the second trial of Karen Read rested its case on Wednesday and said Read was framed for the killing of her Boston police officer boyfriend.

Read, 45, is accused of fatally striking O’Keefe with her SUV and leaving him to die in the snow outside another officer’s home when she dropped him off at a party in January 2022 after the two had been drinking. She’s charged with second-degree murder, manslaughter and leaving the scene in Canton, outside Boston.

Prosecutors have said Read intentionally struck O’Keefe with her sport utility vehicle and left him to die. Read’s defense has suggested she was the victim of a wide-ranging conspiracy that included planting evidence and using her as a convenient scapegoat for her boyfriend’s death.

Defense attorneys in the case have accused the prosecution of twisting Read’s words into a confession she never made. The state has pointed to a television interview in which Read said, “I mean, I didn’t think I ‘hit him’ hit him, but I could I have clipped him?”

“That’s a person trying to make sense of an unexplainable circumstance, a natural concern of a bereaved significant other,” he said.

A crash expert who testified for the defense said, based on tests he performed, the damage to Read’s taillight and O’Keefe’s clothing was inconsistent with her SUV striking an arm or body at the speed described by the prosecution.

Dr. Elizabeth Laposata, a former medical examiner called by the defense, said O’Keefe’s injuries were indeed consistent with blunt force trauma to the back of the head, but that his eye wounds were not consistent with being hit by the rear of Read’s SUV. She also testified she did not think O’Keefe was hit by the SUV at all.

The defense also unsuccessfully sought a mistrial earlier in the second trial. Read’s first trial ended in a mistrial due to a hung jury. The attempt for a second mistrial hinged on a defense theory that O’Keefe was beaten inside the home where the party took place, and that he was bitten by a family dog and then left outside as part of a conspiracy by the police that included planting evidence against Read.

The defense team tried for a second mistrial after the prosecution pointed out that no dog DNA was found on O’Keefe. The defense said there had been no mention in the trial about DNA and the dog bite, and argued that raising the subject while questioning Russell had prejudiced the jury.

Superior Court Judge Beverly Cannone said the trial could proceed.

The defense has also attempted to show that police were biased against Read from the start and wanted to pin O’Keefe’s death on her. Jonathan Diamandis, a friend of Michael Proctor, the lead investigator of Read’s case, was asked by the defense team to read text messages that Proctor sent to friends about the investigation.

Proctor was fired in March after a disciplinary board found he sent sexist and crude text messages about Read to his family and colleagues. His testimony played a key role in the first trial. Defense attorneys used his text messages to attempt to show that Proctor was biased and ignored the possibility of other suspects.

The next big step in the case is closing statements from both sides. The case will then go to the jury.

This story was originally published by the Associated Press.

In the aftermath of the Brown University shooting, we’re sharing resources and community support services to help as we navigate these difficult times.
Ella Cook, a sophomore, and Mukhammad Aziz Umurzokov, a freshman, were killed during a final exam review session by a shooter who has not been found yet. Nine other students were injured, and the university’s president said most are in stable condition.
Resources to help create a safe space for kids to ask questions and process tragic events
The FBI announced a $50,000 reward for information
Rhode Island mass transit planners are soliciting public input on major projects to undertake in the coming years. RIDOT’s online survey closes today
The shooter is still at large. ‘We still have a lot of steps left to take, obviously, in this case,” Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha said.