Settlement Talks Underway in Contentious Westerly Shoreline Access Case

Watch Hill Fire District challenges public right-of-way to Napatree Point; town council president faces backlash as shoreline advocates fear loss of public access

An access way to Napatree Point along Watch Hill Cove is pictured in this image from 2022.
An access way to Napatree Point along Watch Hill Cove is pictured in this image from 2022.
Alex Nunes/The Public’s Radio
Share
An access way to Napatree Point along Watch Hill Cove is pictured in this image from 2022.
An access way to Napatree Point along Watch Hill Cove is pictured in this image from 2022.
Alex Nunes/The Public’s Radio
Settlement Talks Underway in Contentious Westerly Shoreline Access Case
Copy

Settlement talks are ongoing between the town of Westerly and a shoreline fire district that wants a judge to invalidate a town-designated public right-of-way to the beach.

The Watch Hill Fire District is objecting to the town’s 2008 resolution to designate the Fort Road right-of-way. Beachgoers use the path to walk onto Napatree Point beach and conservation area.

Advocates for shoreline access are concerned that a potential settlement could threaten the public’s ability to use the beach in the future. Westerly town councilor Dylan LaPietra says he also has concerns about how the settlement talks have gone so far.

“I’m not optimistic,’ said LaPietra. ‘I’m not excited about the lack of representation of the rights-of-way people in the process.”

Westerly Town Council President Chris Duhamel has drawn the ire of access advocates who say he’s trying to circumvent a charter provision that prevents the town from abandoning its rights-of-way to the shoreline. They plan to present a petition to hold a recall vote on him at Monday night’s council meeting.

In an email, Duhamel told The Public’s Radio any legal settlement in the case would allow the public continued access to Napatree Point.

LaPietra says don’t expect a settlement anytime soon.

“I still think there’s plenty of time,” said LaPietra. “I think the public has this perception that it’s going to get voted on Monday night in executive session. I don’t think we’re that far along yet. I think there’s time to change. I’m maybe mildly concerned at this point.”

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha is also involved in the case, representing the state Department of Environmental Management. His office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Find Rhode Island weekend events, including dance performances in East Greenwich, author talks, Providence restaurant week deals and a statewide brew fest
Life Science Hub CEO Mark Turco discusses job creation, competition and whether the state entered the biotech race too late
The stay marks the fourth time a federal judge has ruled against the Trump administration’s effort to halt offshore wind construction
State Rep. Megan Cotter has introduced legislation to incentivize school districts to build regional partnerships
A Senate study commission backs a new public medical school as part of a long-term plan to expand primary care
Removing GLP-1s from Rhode Island’s Medicaid formulary for weight loss would save $6.3 million in general revenue, according to McKee’s proposed budget