Matunuck Oyster Bar Debuts Outside Dining July 1

The damaged Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown is shown on Tuesday, May 20, 2025, the date of a devastating fire believed to have been accidental.
The damaged Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown is shown on Tuesday, May 20, 2025, the date of a devastating fire believed to have been accidental.
Laura Paton/Rhode Island Current
Share
The damaged Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown is shown on Tuesday, May 20, 2025, the date of a devastating fire believed to have been accidental.
The damaged Matunuck Oyster Bar in South Kingstown is shown on Tuesday, May 20, 2025, the date of a devastating fire believed to have been accidental.
Laura Paton/Rhode Island Current
Matunuck Oyster Bar Debuts Outside Dining July 1
Copy

Matunuck Oyster Bar will welcome diners to slurp oysters and sample seafood in a makeshift, outdoor space across the street from its acclaimed restaurant starting July 1, Perry Raso, restaurant owner, announced Wednesday.

The reopening of the acclaimed South County dining destination on its 16th anniversary comes less than two months after a fire forced the restaurant to close. Ahead of a permanent rebuild, Raso cooked up a temporary solution relying upon the marina parking lot across the street from his restaurant.

The tented dining space required sign-off from state and local officials to ease restrictions governing outdoor eateries. The Rhode Island General Assembly unanimously approved changes to state regulations on June 12, clarifying that pandemic-era allowances for al fresco dining also extend to restaurants closed due to floods, fires or other disasters.

Separately, the South Kingstown Town Council OK’d details including operating hours, parking plans and capacity caps for “Matunuck Marina,” Raso said in an emailed statement.

He thanked state and local officials for helping revive the famed seafood restaurant overlooking Potter Pond, allowing 50 of his 300-person staff to keep working over the summer.

The revival includes tableside dining and grab-and-go options, preserving the existing reservation and takeout system via the restaurant website.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation by the Rhode Island Office of the State Fire Marshal. A preliminary investigation suggested it was accidental and not caused by commercial cooking equipment.

This story was originally published by the Rhode Island Current.

Mayor Brett Smiley discusses how his administration is tackling the city’s biggest issues — from the housing shortage and SNAP crisis to community trust in police — as he looks ahead to a 2026 re-election bid
USDA says it will not send out food stamp money in November due to the federal shutdown. Now, Rhode Islanders are grappling with how to make ends meet
Federal cuts to Medicaid could leave up to 50,000 Rhode Islanders without health insurance, straining the state’s already limited primary care system and putting communities like Central Falls - where half the population relies on Medicaid - at particular risk, according to Dr. Michael Fine
Gov. Dan McKee says the state will shift $6 million from other federal programs to help feed Rhode Islanders as SNAP benefits run out — while Attorney General Peter Neronha joins a multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration to restore funding
The R/V Endeavor, which spent the last 49 years operating out of URI’s Narragansett Bay Campus, was retired last month. Possibly took a tour of the vessel before it’s decommissioned