Rhode Island, Mass. Among 25 States Suing Over Trump Freeze in Education Funding

Plaintiffs hope for a speedy injunction to free the money ahead of the rapidly approaching school year

Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha at a news conference Monday, May 5, 2025.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha at a news conference Monday, May 5, 2025.
Ian Donnis/The Public’s Radio
Share
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha at a news conference Monday, May 5, 2025.
Rhode Island Attorney General Peter Neronha at a news conference Monday, May 5, 2025.
Ian Donnis/The Public’s Radio
Rhode Island, Mass. Among 25 States Suing Over Trump Freeze in Education Funding
Copy

The attorneys general of Rhode Island and Massachusetts are among the plaintiffs charging that a Trump administration freeze on more than $6 billion in education funding is illegal.

Without a detailed explanation, the U.S. Education Department on July 1 blocked the release of $6.8 billion in education grants for states.

Twenty-three attorneys general and the governors of Kentucky and Massachusetts are plaintiffs in the lawsuit.

Rhode Island’s Peter Neronha and Massachusetts’ Andrea Campbell were among four attorneys general taking part in a virtual news conference to announce the lawsuit Monday.

About $30 million is on the line for Rhode Island, and $100 million for Massachusetts, for a variety of educational programs.

Neronha said the funding freeze is illegal since the Trump administration is usurping the authority of Congress to make funding decisions.

“The money that we as Americans send to Washington to be directed to protect us, to support us — only Congress can decide precisely how that money is spent,” he said. “It’s the president’s job to faithfully execute the law, including the spending laws, the budgets, passed by Congress.”

With the school year fast approaching, and state education departments scrambling to respond, Neronha said he hopes an injunction will free the money in a matter of days or weeks, rather than months.

Campbell said students, schools, and communities will suffer if the latest funding freeze goes unchecked.

“The administration has proven yet again that it does not care about the well-being of our kids,” she said, “or the educators that are providing these services and working so incredibly hard. We’re sadly just a few weeks away from the start of the new school year and this chaos and confusion doesn’t help to ensure that there’s a smooth transition for everybody.”

Mayor Brett Smiley discusses how his administration is tackling the city’s biggest issues — from the housing shortage and SNAP crisis to community trust in police — as he looks ahead to a 2026 re-election bid
USDA says it will not send out food stamp money in November due to the federal shutdown. Now, Rhode Islanders are grappling with how to make ends meet
Federal cuts to Medicaid could leave up to 50,000 Rhode Islanders without health insurance, straining the state’s already limited primary care system and putting communities like Central Falls - where half the population relies on Medicaid - at particular risk, according to Dr. Michael Fine
Gov. Dan McKee says the state will shift $6 million from other federal programs to help feed Rhode Islanders as SNAP benefits run out — while Attorney General Peter Neronha joins a multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration to restore funding
The R/V Endeavor, which spent the last 49 years operating out of URI’s Narragansett Bay Campus, was retired last month. Possibly took a tour of the vessel before it’s decommissioned