50 Park Lane
Providence RI 02907-3145

Phone: 401-222-3636

Fax: 401-222-3407

© 2026 Ocean State Media is a
501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Federal Tax ID: 22-2859005
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

Tensions Flare at New Bedford Board of Health Meeting on Trash Transfer Site

The hearing official in charge of the New Bedford Board of Health meeting quieted the crowd several times on Aug. 26, 2025.
Paul C. Kelly Campos/The Public’s Radio
The hearing official in charge of the New Bedford Board of Health meeting quieted the crowd several times on Aug. 26, 2025.

The Board of Health in New Bedford heard experts discuss the potential impact of building a new waste facility

Throughout the hearing some in the auditorium shouted, “Just say no,” prompting the hearing official in charge of the New Bedford Board of Health meeting, Art Krieger, to warn the crowd to quiet down several times.

The crowd was there to hear discussion on a proposal by South Coast Renewables to build a new facility that would handle and sort around 1,500 tons of solid waste per day, before it’s sent out for destruction or recycling elsewhere.

The Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection gave its approval to the trash transfer station in July. Throughout August, the city Board of Health hosted a series of public hearings at Casimir Pulaski Elementary School to get public comment and to discuss the potential health and environmental impacts of such a facility.

At Tuesday’s hearing, South Coast Renewables, formerly known as Parallel Products, called on various experts to talk about traffic congestion studies and explain the strategies that would be used by the company to mitigate car queuing near the facility.

Garrett Tunison, an environmental scientist contracted by South Coast Renewables, explained his research that found the facility would not create excessive noise pollution that would impact wildlife — one of several issues environmental groups had previously raised about the facility.

Todd Thalhamer, a civil engineer who spoke on behalf of the environmental group the Conversation Law Foundation, said he’s concerned the facility will cause fire danger.

“It’s not a question of if, it’s a question of when you will have a fire. The industry has been experiencing a dramatic increase in fires at transfer stations and other facilities.” Thalhamer said. “The toxicity [from a fire] will have all sorts of volatile organic chemicals. You’re gonna have high levels of benzene and other known volatility chemicals that are known carcinogens.”

Peter Durning, a lawyer for South Coast Renewables, told the Board of Health that the company plans to use an advanced fire prevention system to mitigate those risks.

New Bedford’s Board of Health is slated to issue a final decision on the site by September 19.

Paul C. Kelly Campos is a Report for America Corps member who covers democracy and community engagement for The Public’s Radio. Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, Kelly is a writer, poet and translator of Irish and Nicaraguan descent. His bilingual work has appeared in NPR’s Next Generation Radio, The Washington Post, KQED Forum, KALW, Prism, The Golden Gate Xpress, Seen and Heard, The San Franciscan, and Borderless magazine. He graduated from SF State with a B.A. in journalism and a minor in English literature in 2021. In his spare time he can be found consuming pupusas, reading poetry, or playing with his cat ‘Dr. Otto Octavious Phd.’ all while “The Damned” plays loudly in the background.
Latest Stories