RIPTA Board Postpones Decision on Service Cuts

Governor Dan McKee is asking the transit agency to draft a new plan to help close a $10 million budget shortfall that avoids eliminating so many routes

Amy Glidden said that the Rhode Island Transit Riders think staying in Kennedy Plaza would be perfectly fine.
The RIPTA board has put off making a decision on service cuts.
Raquel Zaldívar / The New England News Collaborative
Share
Amy Glidden said that the Rhode Island Transit Riders think staying in Kennedy Plaza would be perfectly fine.
The RIPTA board has put off making a decision on service cuts.
Raquel Zaldívar / The New England News Collaborative
RIPTA Board Postpones Decision on Service Cuts
Copy

The Rhode Island Public Transit Authority is going back to the drawing board after its Board of Directors postponed a vote on proposed service cuts.

The RIPTA Board was scheduled to vote this morning on a proposal to eliminate 16 bus routes and reduce service to dozens of others as part of an effort to close a $10million budget gap.

But the board decided not to take action after Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee sent the Board a letter urging members to craft a new plan.

McKee said the current plan relies too much on across-the-board cuts. He said the focus instead should be on cutting back low-performing routes, administrative belt-tightening and some fare increases.

The governor also suggested there might be more money available to support what he called a “critical” resource for Rhode Islanders.

“Pending the development of a new, more balanced proposal inclusive of the points above, we are open to continuing discussions about identifying additional short-term resources for the agency,” McKee wrote.

RIPTA released an efficiency study last week, which indicated service cuts are inevitable given the lack of other immediate cost-saving measures.

This developing story will be updated.

As Rhode Island’s most productive quahogging area prepares to reopen Feb. 9, frozen bays and brutal cold threaten livelihoods across the fleet
We’re switching it up this week and highlighting the events that fly under the radar because they’re always happening. Consider these our weekly Rhode Island favorites
After approving $350 million in borrowing to build two new high schools, voters declined to authorize an additional $50 million bond
Sojourner House CEO Vanessa Volz on housing, funding, and the limits of current responses
Alviti’s decision to retire now, after weathering more than two years of intense scrutiny and criticism, surprised many
The 2025 RI Life Index suggests many are worried about the cost of living and housing affordability