Westerly Town Council Holds ‘Infomercial’ for Embattled Solicitor

William Conley night defended himself against criticism from the public and some council members

Westerly Town Solicitor William Conley has come under fire.
File photo. Westerly Town Solicitor William Conley defended himself at a town council meeting on Sept. 16.
Alex Nunes/The Public’s Radio
Share
Westerly Town Solicitor William Conley has come under fire.
File photo. Westerly Town Solicitor William Conley defended himself at a town council meeting on Sept. 16.
Alex Nunes/The Public’s Radio
Westerly Town Council Holds ‘Infomercial’ for Embattled Solicitor
Copy

Westerly Town Solicitor William Conley defended himself on Sept. 16 against criticism from the public and some members of the Westerly Town Council over his office’s failure to submit legal research and analysis to the federal government before the transfer of the Watch Hill Lighthouse to a private non-profit earlier this year.

Conley also denied accusations from one councilor that the town council was not adequately updated on the status of his research and communications with the General Services Administration. He said he and the attorneys in his office did “what excellent lawyers do.”

Conley’s hourlong presentation and discussion with councilors came after a report published Friday by The Public’s Radio detailing the failure publicly for the first time. The town council had scheduled a special meeting solely to review ongoing legal cases in a “possible” executive session but moved one agenda item on a related public records appeal by The Public’s Radio to open session for what became Conley’s defense of his actions.

Monday night was the third time under the current town council Conley was given meeting time to respond to continued public criticism.

This story was reported by The Public’s Radio. You can read the entire story here.

Plus: the Rhode Island Black Film Festival, opening day at the drive-in and more
Rachel Miller says the council is poised to ‘make history’ with final approval Thursday
State Sen. Jessica de la Cruz is proposing a phased 10% income tax cut over five years, arguing the state’s core problem is spending, not revenue
Backed by students, the plan expands school libraries statewide while budget questions loom
Lawsuit over residency rules halts new retail permits and leaves applicants in limbo
After requesting more time, Mayor Ken Hopkins is expected to propose significant cuts and potential layoffs