Sen. Reed Calls Trump’s Military Strike on Iran Premature

While agreeing Iran must not go nuclear, Reed urges diplomacy over military action and questions effectiveness of recent U.S. strike

Sen. Reed during a previous interview at The Public’s Radio.
The Public’s Radio
Share
Sen. Reed during a previous interview at The Public’s Radio.
The Public’s Radio
Sen. Reed Calls Trump’s Military Strike on Iran Premature
Copy

U.S. Sen. Jack Reed of Rhode Island agrees with President Trump that Iran should not be allowed to develop a nuclear weapon, but he said Trump’s use of a military airstrike over the weekend is too much, too soon.

“The best path would be for negotiations,” Reed said in an interview Monday. “We had an arrangement in place under the Obama administration that we had detailed inspections on the ground. They were staying within the limits — they were trying to push the limits, but staying within the limits.”

Reed said it’s unclear for now if the U.S. airstrike achieved its goal.

“We have not received yet a damage assessment,” he said. “Obviously, given the tonnage we dropped, there was destruction there. The question is, how much of their enriched uranium survived? Did they move it out prior to the attack? And it’s going to take some kind of detailed analysis, which they’re conducting now.”

Speaking after a Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce event in Warwick, Reed said he would support military action against Iran if it was about to finalize a nuclear weapon.

Short of that, he said, President Trump’s decision to order an intense airstrike in Iran amounts to a big gamble, due to the uncertainty of possible consequences. He said one possibility is enhanced assistance for Iran’s nuclear program from one of its allies.

Mayor Brett Smiley discusses how his administration is tackling the city’s biggest issues — from the housing shortage and SNAP crisis to community trust in police — as he looks ahead to a 2026 re-election bid
USDA says it will not send out food stamp money in November due to the federal shutdown. Now, Rhode Islanders are grappling with how to make ends meet
Federal cuts to Medicaid could leave up to 50,000 Rhode Islanders without health insurance, straining the state’s already limited primary care system and putting communities like Central Falls - where half the population relies on Medicaid - at particular risk, according to Dr. Michael Fine
Gov. Dan McKee says the state will shift $6 million from other federal programs to help feed Rhode Islanders as SNAP benefits run out — while Attorney General Peter Neronha joins a multistate lawsuit against the Trump administration to restore funding
The R/V Endeavor, which spent the last 49 years operating out of URI’s Narragansett Bay Campus, was retired last month. Possibly took a tour of the vessel before it’s decommissioned