South County Hospital in South Kingstown went into lockdown Monday afternoon. Soon after, police said they received a false report of an active shooter.
As of 2 p.m., police deemed the hospital safe and said they found no victims.
“We have physically cleared South County Hospital,” the police department wrote on Facebook. “There is no active shooter, and there are no victims. Everyone is safe.”
As of 4:35 p.m. the lockdown had been lifted, according to a South County Hospital spokesperson.
Earlier, the spokesperson sent a statement at 2:20 p.m. asking the public not to share unverified information.
“We are aware of a reported threat involving our hospital,” the statement sent at the time read. “The hospital is currently under lockdown as a precaution while law enforcement and emergency response partners assess the situation on site.”
This is a developing story and will be updated.